- Part I: 14-15
- Part II: 17-18
- The Last: 21-22
- Part III: 24-25
- Next Generation: 41-42
- Part I: 142.34 cm (4'6")
- Part II: 155.28 cm (5'0")
- Part I: 29.35 kg (64.7 lbs)
- Part II: 39.17 kg (86.3 lbs)
- Part III and NG: 60.32 kg (132.9 lbs)
Kurei has slightly tanned skin from the exposure of sun and sand in her home in Sunagakure. Her hair is a silky clay brown and very soft as she takes pride in taking care of it. It's also naturally straight and smooth though it is known to curl toward the face as it gets longer or when wet. Taking after her father, Saisei, rather than the curl from her mother, Toge. Her eyebrows are small and rounded rather than the typical long, rectangular brows, as inherited from the Shuhou Clan. Her eyes are deep set and are an earthy green color with a silver (purple in Shippuden) band around the pupil. She has long legs, giving her a long stride and good power for kicking. Despite her long legs, Kurei is noticeably lacking in the height department. She doesn't mind being below average in height, but does mind the jokes some people attempt. She is 'fun-sized' thank you very much.
- --- Deep set and not nearly as wide as most of her age group, giving her a mature and often serious or maternal look.
- --- Thick lashes
- --- Triangular clan tattoo at bottom corner of each eye
- --- Dual Heterocromia, dusky green with a muted purple ring around a small pupil
- --- Like the rest of her clan, her eye brows are small and rounded
- --- Short (cut short at the back, falling longer in the front), blunt, angular cut with a long bang in middle of face
- --- Straight when short but will slightly curl as it grows longer
- --- Silky and smooth
- --- Healthy, light olive color, tans easily
- --- Thin, easily bruises
- --- Well maintained
- --- Freckles oh shoulders and back may appear with extended sun exposure
- --- Roman/aquilian
- --- Oval, lightly angular, and feminine
- --- Strong, proud jaw
- --- 32 A
- A rotund clay bottle with a substantial wooden cork. The surface is rough with obvious wear but it is sturdy and Kurei trusts in it absolutely. It's almost half her size. The jug is adorned with two large seals to fix the weight and allow the jug to hold more water than it typically could, as well as a thick woven rope-belt to allowed it to be carried comfortable on the back.
Scent: A soft floral scent with a misty undertone, like a spring rain.
Kurei is a personable and responsible person, known for her serious demeanor and impressive intelligence - albeit also known for her perfectionistic tendencies and often blunt delivery. Most people know her as being a busy, hardworking, and efficient individual whose focus and determination is both respected and feared. When she wants something it isn't hard for anyone to imagine her succeeding, she knows how to manipulate people and situations to produce the most favorable outcome and often times is seen as being several steps ahead of everyone else, a trait which is both a help and hindrance in her personal and professional life.
Kurei does her best to maintain an open, warm, and amiable attitude no matter the circumstance, becoming an inviting and safe person to confide in and be around. She isn't one who is easily daunted nor swayed by the opinions of external forces, preferring to form her own opinions only after experiencing or researching something in great detail. Kurei is of the mind that one must experience things for themselves before they can ever know the truth of any situation. Should they not be aware of said situation it is in best interest that they not bother to announce their opinions. She appreciates the simple things in life, preferring to go about with as little drama and conflict as possible. Kurei is a kind, attentive, and fierce women with an old, and rather spunky, soul. Though, occasionally, her dark sense of humor and penchant for psychological mind games can get the better of her.
Confident and able to inspire, Kurei has displayed a strong sense of leadership and understanding for who she is and has, thusly, cultivated an impressive variety of supporters, contacts, acquaintances, and close friends. While also having shown a need to be in control and not afraid of inserting her opinion when she believes to have the superior plan, even if it should counter higher authority. She is an uncompromising individual when it comes to her morality and will not turn away from or change herself for anyone no matter the cost. She has an honest perspective on life and is straightforward, never mixing words, and works hard to keep a level head in even the most exacerbating situations. Above all, Kurei is known to be incredibly supportive of others while encouraging them to find themselves. Often by helping them push their boundaries to prove that growth is often in experiencing that which makes you uncomfortable.
As a child Kurei was introduced to a very competitive environment which shaped her need for perfection in everything she does and gave her a thirst to make a name for herself. This also left her with a wide variety of fears centered around being rendered useless or obsolete or unneeded and, eventually, being forgotten. Kurei has always enjoyed being entrusted with responsibilities, to feel she is needed is of utmost importance to her. As such she highly detests having her skills and/or understanding called into question, taking it as a person affront which needs immediate reprimand. She very much enjoys being a bit of a smartass when underestimate by proving just how worthwhile her contributions are. Kurei is terribly proud and protective of her loved ones, as well as her freedom, often becoming viciously over-protective if someone should threaten either. She has a rather strong mean streak when pushed to her limits, as she has proven to be quick to hold a grudge, often seeing justice against transgressors laid out by use of her personal social network.
She is a practical and impressive tactician with a very sharp wit and indomitable instincts - which she follows to the letter. She isn't afriad to make a retreat if it means getting to have a second or third go at the problem. During missions, Kurei is often looked to for opinions and leadership. While she does hold herself with a good deal of professionalism and is good at executing orders as they are given, she is not afraid to question methods and offer better alternatives should she find some. Kurei will not hesitate to defend the innocent and the weak and does not put up with bullshit well, having a very good radar to detect it (and right hook to snuff it out).
Kurei's Headcanon Meme
Likes, Dislikes, Hobbies (And Other Trivia)
- --- Poison Making and Antidote Creation
- Kurei enjoys the challenge of breeding new plant species to create new, natural poisons as well as chemically engineering others. She gets various samples from all around the ninja world and works to either replicate them or create antidotes for them. Kurei finds something very thrilling in 'mad-scienceing' poison and then breaking them down with an antidote. Not every poison in her vast and ever growing collection has a cure, however.
- --- Cultivating Cacti
- During her time making hybrid plants, Kurei stumbled onto cacti and fell in love with the plant. She started working on a poisonous cacti variety which could hold chakra and is to release it's needles in a projectile fashion when triggered. She then collects the needles and uses them in place of traditional senbon, either for throwing or shooting. Later she started breeding differently colored cacti flowers with the intention of giving them to friends and family. Once Kurei found out Gaara, likewise, enjoyed the cultivation and care of cacti they began to work together and a colorfully bloomed cacti was her first present to Gaara. During the years where they were unable to produce children of their own, Kurei and Gaara spent time hybridizing cacti, these became as precious as babies to the young couple. She has worked hard to find rarer species to show him and thrives in the smiles and looks of awe Gaara gives when she succeeds.
- --- Gardening
- Kurei's passion with her poisons led her to a passion of gardening and tending to flowers and various greenery. It's a very soothing and relaxing thing, plus flowers don't demand anything but a little attention and gentle affection. Kurei took it upon herself to tend to the greenhouse when she found it understaffed in her genin years and worked to bring it up to be a fine establishment by the time The Last rolls around. Likewise, she tends to various desert gardens around Sunagakure. The one in the home she and her husband share is filled with vibrant and rare desert specimen. The one at the Kage manor is stocked with many sweet smelling plants.
- --- Paper Work with Gaara
- This first started when Kurei volunteered to help Gaara when he first became Kazekage. They would spend ample time around one another and would later find that many of their helpers snuck out of the office when they put their heads together to work on a particularly nasty document or get started on an obviously lengthy political discussion. Working together became a bonding ritual. They would often exchange information about themselves above the soft rustling of paper and familiar pattern of the day. Kurei often got to the Kage office early to ensure that things would be in order and ready for the Kazekage when he arrived, especially on days when she was off on a mission or working with the Mizugame Ryodan. During her retirement Kurei is still very active in assisting her husband in the office, though she spends much more time perched on the edge of Gaara's desk or in his lap.
- --- Watching Sunsets/Sunrises
- There were very few days where Kurei didn't watch a sunset turn into a sunrise when working with Gaara in the office. These were the times where they would grab a quick snack, something to drink, and make their way to a high roof top where they would watch the sky change colors until it was inky black or bright blue. Many of their dates were marked by a sunrise or sunset. Kurei loves the way the colors melt across the sky sometimes like a fire licking across the expanse of the horizon, and sometimes like a rainbow, with hues and bands of vibrant and glorious color stretching across the horizon. Kurei is willing to drop almost anything to watch and admire and share the moment with someone special.
- --- Strategy Games
- While Kurei would never dream to beat Shikamaru in a game of Go, he did introduce her to the wonderful world of strategy games. When things get too stressful, or there is a problems she just can't solve, Kurei retreats to her quite place and pulls out a game or two and lets the world melt away as she contemplates the game. Often, she gets so focused on her own internal monologue as she plays that she is quite startled when the game is already at it's conclusion. When on the battle field it is not uncommon for Kurei to absently comment like she would with a board game. Kurei is a pretty good sport about loosing but is hella competitive regardless and always aims to win, even if it's a close one. "A win is a win by any margin".
- --- Astronomy
- Kurei has a vast knowledge about the constellations in the night sky and knows how to travel by their patterns thanks to the years of study done by the Shuhou Clan. She loves telling the mythology of said constellations to the children of Suna. For fun, Kurei sometimes dresses up in ornate robes, taking on the roll of the mysterious 'Oracle' or 'Otsuge-san'. When Gaara has a hard time sleeping, Kurei often open the window in the roof of his room and tells him stories about constellation mythology until he falls asleep.
- Her favorite phrase is “One life, One Encounter” (一期一会) and “Spilt water will not return to the tray” (覆水盆に帰らず).
- To increase the Mizugame Ryodan's prowess and ensure the longevity of her village.
- --- Remarkable memory, once seen or heard Kurei can recall registered facts with a few simple cues.
- --- Amiable and easy going, able to get along with the majority of people and fit into a variety of social situations.
- --- Analytically minded, a strong leader, and impressive tactician, highly attentive to details
- --- Strong will and force of character, Kurei is not easily daunted nor swayed by opinions of external forces
- --- Knows who she is and what she wants, willing to work and exert the effort to get where she wants to go, never compromise her morals or who she is for anyone.
- --- Clever, with a quick mind and wit, known for her cool head and logical pattern of thought, good common sense
- --- Practical and reliable, known to be very supportive and encouraging of others
- --- Has an honest perspective on life and straightforward, doesn't mix words
- --- Prideful and a major perfectionist
- --- Critical of the details and quality of things
- --- Bad habit of picking things and apart when upset
- --- Dark sense of humor and cruel psychological player when pushed beyond her limits
- --- Has a tendency to over work herself and not properly take care of her self, mostly through forgetting to eat or not getting enough sleep
- --- Terribly protective of her loved ones and her freedom, will resist any and all attempts of irrational limitation concerning her freedom, will hold a grudge and seek to get justice against those who harm her loved ones or the innocent (if she were a billionaire she would be a vigilantly *nods*)
- --- Being left alone, either through abandonment or her loved ones dying
- --- Failing/Disappointing those important to her or failing to preform/protect/be there when needed
- --- Being out of control of her body/mind/actions, being controlled and doing something against her will
- --- Fire.
- --- Becoming disabled and thus unable to protect and serve
- --- Adding on to the above, she is afraid of being obsolete or useless or unneeded and forgotten
- --- When feeling scared or anxious Kurei finds a calm, quite, secluded place and does a serious of breathing exercises to calm and focus the mind.
- --- If these fail, Kurei often seeks out the physical presents of someone she loves. When a child it was her mother or sister Uiiki. As she gets older it becomes friends such as Risu and Temari. Later on Gaara becomes her main source of comfort. Kurei doesn't necessarily need to be physically touching someone, but is the quickest way to calm her down.
- --- If pensive, lethargic, or largely distracted, Kurei will summon Ikui to hold in her arms and pet.
- --- When mad Kurei divorces herself from everyone and goes to take her frustrations out on training dummies. Afterward she generally curls up on her bed and cocoons the covers around her to brood or wallow.
- --- When sad, Kurei finds a place to cry out her sadness until she falls asleep or fixes the problem with a good cry. Rarely will she openly cry in front of others.
- --- When riled up, it's bad to try and get Kurei to talk instead she appreciates a hug or gentle physical pressure to let her know she's not alone and that there are people waiting for her.
- --- Kurei is very stubborn and it can take a lot to get her to calm down or open up, she knows this about herself but when emotionally rung out has very little want to correct the behavior.
- --- Kurei is a hard worker, with a wide range of knowledge on a variety of subjects, and has the drive to complete tasks set to her at her absolute bests and accepts not sub-par work to pass her hands.
- --- She is a very flexible person, easily adapting to new situations and quickly able to make plans b-z when necessary. Kurei is also very fluid and flexible on the battle field where she excels at evasion and quick in-then-out attacks.
- --- Thanks to her Clan's natural abilities and her own diligent work, Kurei is highly skilled at chakra control and has above average chakra reserves.
- --- Has a knack for reading people, picking up on the subtlest of cues most people miss and accurately identifying sometime obscure facts thought observation alone.
- --- She is highly observant of her surroundings and the people in them and is known to always follow her gut instinct or reaction in a situation.
- --- Kurei is a very quick kunoichi both mentally and on the battle field. She has a distinctively sharp mind and is one of the physically fastest ninja in the Sand Village.
- --- Extended close combat, she is better at ranged attacks and traps. She is always going to be at a disadvantage against physically stronger opponents and will fall back to rely on ranged ninjutsu attacks.
- --- Fire Release when using Toxic Release, will switch to Water Release at this point.
- --- Has a habit of overworking herself and sometimes taking on more than she can honestly handle in order to accommodate or help someone/make herself feel useful while under-maintaining her heath during these times.
- --- While Kurei tries hard not to, she is very good at holding a grudge and letting it consume her. It's a vice she has dealt with on a variety of moments and one which occasionally rears it's ugly head.
- --- Being a bit of a smartass when underestimated, proving just how worthwhile her contributions are
- --- People watching and dissecting their behaviors
- --- Being right
- --- Watching the sky paint it's self with hues of red and orange and gold
- --- Dancing in the rain and dancing in general
- --- Being entrusted with responsibility and feeling like she is needed
- --- Enjoys being busy/always having something to do
- --- Physical affection with those she's close too, a strong pair of arms on a dark day
- --- Her skills or personal worth being called into question
- --- Stupid/Ignorant people (relating to the above)
- --- Only having so much time in the day, not able to get everything done when she wants to
- --- Feeling unnecessary or as if she is in the way
- --- Being told to 'take it easy', she can take it easy when she's dead thank you
- --- Being teased or purposefully embarrassed
- --- Being completely out of control of her body/mind/situation
- --- Failure or not completing a project to 100% satisfaction
- --- Academy Teacher (briefly)
- Just after becoming jounin, Kurei and the rest of Team Thirteen were asked to substitute for a few of the academy teachers who were injured in the previous raid on the Sunagakure water towers. This it easy enough, Kurei and company went to their assigned classrooms. Shortly thereafter all three made their way to the Kazekage office to explain why a portion of the grounds had been set on fire. While Kurei thoroughly enjoyed the experience, she realized a classroom would never be her true calling.
- --- Secretary to the Kazekage
- An on-again off-again job. During down time Kurei often makes it a point to help Gaara around the office. Assisting with paperwork and organization and running any errands he needs. It's the job that first brought them into contact for more than an hour at a time and where they spent the most time getting to know one another and bound. Originally, Kurei was ordered to observe some down time after a minor mental break concerning her sensei's health. She agreed on one condition, that she was doing something productive in the meantime. Gaara, having been in the Kazekage seat for a short while needed some extra hands on deck and set the Shuhou girl to work alongside Temari and Kankuro.
- --- Kazekage's Bodyguard (Self Proclaimed)
- Kurei's need to protect is a profound part of who she is. Once Kurei recognized her budding feeling for the Kazekage and the need to get to know him better, she put herself at his side and refused to budge for any reason. She used the opportunity to expose him to her group of friends and acquaintance as well as to help him engage in social situations he had not been around prior. She empathized with his past and was endeared by Gaara's strength of rising above it. Kurei's open and affectionate personality allowed her to bridge the gap that had formed between Gaara and his people while subsequently allowing him to become curious of the new person now in the forefront of his life. While at first the forward actions puzzled the young Kazekage, Gaara came to realize the depth of Kurei's feelings thought such action, finding that when she was at his side she seemed to truly belong there. After all these years, the title is more of a loving joke among those closest to them (but Kurei is always ready to defend and make good on that title should the situation arise).
- --- Supervisor of Administration, Mizugame Ryodan (As of Chapter 700Z)
- While it took some time getting there, Kurei's dedication and overwhelming abilities made her a top candidate for the position of supervisor after her long run as an Extractor. She took on the job Post-War and took on a team of genin trainees as well. Kurei settled into the position with gusto and continues to manage the Mizugame Ryodan throughout her golden years. (The Mizugame Ryodan: A Guild)
- --- Sunagakure Advisory Council Member (Next Generation)
- After several major injuries from her youth begin to cause her trouble, Kurei retires from field work at the behest of her loved ones. With the retirement of one of the eldest council members, a seat opens up and it is offered to Kurei. Humbly, she accepts. Her exceptional intelligence, political prowess, and notoriety in other villages makes her a valued addition to the council. The position as member of the council gave Kurei a way to fill in the gap of shinobi work as well as offering a way to give back to her village and protect the ninja within.
- --- Jinruishi Daisaku (34)*, Discharged from Duty (Work-Related Disabilities), Academy Teacher
- Former leader of Team Nine. Sometime prior to the time skip, Team Nine fell into a trap which caused their sensei permanent damage to his tenketsu along his right leg and abdomen. By 'The Last', Jinruishi has recovered from his rehabilitation and become an Academy Teacher where he will, eventually, mentor and teach Kurei and Gaara's children. Kurei and Jinruishi had a rocky and highly volatile relationship when she was genin but have sense grown closer and fonder of one another, though to this day Daisaku-sensei is the only person who can truly bring out Kurei's explosive blue streak and extreme ire.
- --- Hin Noukotsudou (20)*,
- Hin and Kurei's relationship has always been one of equals and close companionship. They were betrothed to one another at a young age and were set up on many play dates and the like. While Hin realized early on what was developing, he shielded Kurei and took responsibility and pressure on himself. Hin was year older than Kurei and as such started the Academy before her, this while she was still in the hospital. He would be responsible for introducing them to their third teammate Taba. Kurei trusts Hin the most out of everyone she knows to do what needs to be done. They have similar moral codes and are willing to do just about the same thing to meet their end goal. Very much cut from the same cloth, Hin and Kurei make an explosive duo. Anger one and expect the other on your heels shortly.
- --- Taba Matsurika (19)*,
- Taba is the balance of the group. He's a bit of a clown with a big heart and a loud mouth. Generally, his filter is on vacation and he has a habit of blurting out the first thing which pops into his brain. Wicked smart, but socially inept, he becomes the butt of many jokes. However, Kurei learned how to sober the jokester up and get him serious and focused. He's a true friend to Kurei and uncompromisingly loyal. Where Kurei and Hin are ready to rush forward, Taba is there to drag them back and remind them to look at the scenery of life. As a genin he was constantly running after his teammates and getting them out of traps. Sometimes he would go on whole monologues while Kurei and Hin hung out in a net trap. Both realized that listening to Taba would probably keep them alive longer than not doing such. A fact Taba is smug and happy to remind them of.
- --- Ondori Homura (Part III 12-13 ; Next Generation 29-30),
- Ondori is the trouble maker of the trio. He is the oldest by age though mentally a child. He enjoys using his vocal-based clan techniques to frighten and startle others. Ondori talks a big game but is a bit of a puss. He grows more confident the more he works in the Mizugame Ryodan and becomes very attached to Kurei, seeing her as something of an older sister. She is, perhaps, the only authority figure he ever listens to or does not sass. Ondori learns to rein in his pranks and, with maturity, he becomes the leader of the group and grows very close with both Haari and Hikkaku. Kurei realizes his need for attention, as she had felt the same as a child from a big family, and actively works to give him praise when he deserves it.
- --- Haari Amani (Part III 9-10 ; Next Generation 26-27),
- Haari is the darling of the team. As a selective mute it's hard to ever get a firm word out of her. She spends most of her time writing with water or a stick in the sand to get her point across, as well as relying on facial and body language. Haari, despite her self-inflicted ability, is a scrapper. Her sheer, natural strength is vastly superior to any of her agemates and could put a full grown shinobi to shame. She is, however, terrified of men (generally ages 18+), and has a severely hard time warming up to her male teammates. Overtime, and with exposure, Haari is able to concur her fear and push past it to live a more normal life. Kurei and Haari are like mother and daughter, you do not f*** with Haari, Kurei will kick your ass. Kurei enjoys lavishing attention on Haari who was so starved for it after coming from such a broken home. At times, Kurei seems to understand exactly what Haari is saying even when she doesn't say a thing. It creeps some people out a touch.
- --- Hikkaku Inusayama (Part III 11-12 ; Next Generation 28-29),
- Hikkaku is an old soul in a young body. He has a pack of sand-stripped jackal puppets whom he talks through. His mouth is always covered and each jackal get's a different voice when they talk. He is stand offish and anti-social, though he will follow an order to a T and has no qualms about killing. Something Kurei has to temper. At first Hikkaku undermined Kurei and pretty much isolated himself from the group until she got one of his jackal puppets fixed by Kankuro. The gesture did not go unnoticed and Hikkaku started to warm up to everyone. The one who brought him out of his shell, though, was Haari. They could have a novels worth of conversation with their eyes alone and sometimes Hikkaku would use his puppets to hold Haari's half of the conversation.
- --- Kurei's speed is her greatest and most well tuned weapon. Kurei can move at almost undetectable speeds, leaving no trace of either her presence or her destination. In battle, her speed has been shown to allow her to seamlessly dodge barrages of projectiles from her enemy and likewise outpace them.
- --- Kurei has also shown dangerous accuracy, able to effectively hit any key body points of her choosing to instantly kill or sedate a target. Her favored techniques include the use of hidden senbon holsters and a collapsible blowgun.
- --- She relies on her speed, since her physical capabilities are limited, to get in the first hit so as to end a battle as soon as possible.
- --- As shown in a few circumstances Kurei is also quite skilled with chakra control, such as being able to transfer chakra to others and wielding her chakra with such strength control that she dose not often overtax her supply. Kurei has noticeable ninjutsu skill, able to effectively create her own branch of ninja art at an early age and continue to develop it's potency by assimilating and improving upon existing techniques.
- --- As is typical of the Shuhou Clan, Kurei naturally possesses exceptionally large amounts, and strong levels, of both chakra and stamina. Kurei excels in the techniques of her clan's secondary branch, which are primarily focused around stealth techniques or with sensory techniques which are used to identify, sense, and momentarily manipulate individuals' emotions through their chakra.
- --- Kurei is sensory-type ninja, allowing her to sense the chakra of others even from extended distances, determine whether or not a specific individual is among a crowd, a certain numbers of individuals approaching her along with species and/or special qualities, and determine the size and potency of a target's chakra reserve. As well as allowing her to discern the similarity between chakra signatures belonging to close relatives, as well as to distinguish chakra from different populations. Kurei can divine if an enemy is using a clone technique, and indicate if someone, including herself, is trapped in genjutsu. Utilizing her skill in poisons, Kurei can inject a target and track them when necessary.
- --- Many rely on injection into the victim, which with Kurei's level of control can be done without detection on most occasions, and subsequently focus on Kurei manipulation them from afar. She chooses to disable rather than kill when it is at all possible, inducing temporary loss of control over the nervous system or inducing mild hallucinations. By the Fourth Shinobi World War, Kurei shows a great proficiency and mastery over her art, to the point where she can force the chemicals within various toxic substances to go dormant or become active, even from great distances. As well as being able to use her poisons to counter foreign matter as she can fluctuate her chakra so as to act like a magnet.
- --- Kurei often favors pairing her Toxic Ninja Art with her various sensory-barrier techniques in order to ensure she does not hit friend rather than foe. One such combo, aptly named Barrier: Toxic Shield allows Kurei to detect and melt invading objects with a barrier consisting of thousands of tiny poison droplets. Another favored technique is her Toxic Ninja Art: Multi-Headed Hydra. Once the technique has been used to summon the primary hydra head, Kurei can summon more heads as she pleases -up to ten- and fight with each either entandem or separately.
- --- Her ingestion of poisons as well as her work with Toxic Ninja Art techniques, paired with her advanced sensory abilities has given Kurei a unique six sense to detect poison in her immediate area. She was able to identify the poison in the tea served to herself and the Sand Siblings on a political mission to the Porcelain Village. Kurei has even been seen spitting poison from her mouth, elongating her nail with poison paint, and using the sweat glands in her hand as a way to transfer toxins to her targets.
- --- Application of poison to weapons is a secondary usage, though not her preferred method of combat. Usually forging her weapons from chakra where she can easily apply her toxic art, Kurei has been known to manipulate kunai and other smaller weaponry in large quantities when covered with her poison, poison infused blood, or toxic spit. Under her sleeves she has wrist mounted holsters to fire poisoned senbon.
- --- During the Chunin exams, Kurei was shown able to summon various scorpions onto the battlefield. Most of these were contracted through her mother, Toge, to help her tracking and sensory abilities while fighting. She and her teammates, Hin and Taba, use their respective summons in Formation Delta, which relies primarily on misdirection and simultaneous attacks. Like her teammates summons, a few of her scorpions also grow throughout the series and get large enough to ride.
- --- As of the Timeskip, Kurei is able to summon desert kangaroo rats to track water for the Mizugame Ryodan. Kurei is able to track the kangaroo rats thanks to her sensory skills which allowing her to get the coordinate of the groundwater before stepping foot into the field. The rats are best known for their speed, stealth, balance, and evasion tactics, as well as their hypersensitivity to their surroundings and the emotions of people. All traits which translate well to Kurei's specialties. The Rat Queen is especially fond of Kurei for the care she has taken of her children and often summons Kurei to the Bakubaku Burrow for training.
- --- Kurei has shown to possess a great level of intelligence and perception and is very keen-minded. Kurei has been shown to have great observational and analytical abilities, capable of quickly determining a way around an opponent's technique or strategy. Likewise is very knowledgeable in various ninjutsu techniques, able to quickly recognize and figure out how to counter them. Kurei possesses a very detailed knowledge of human physiology, thanks to Dr. Yamawaki's training. Her knowledge is great enough that she can disable an opponent with acupuncture by hitting a precise point on the body with a senbon, to cause immediate death or a temporary appearance of such.
- --- Kurei is noted to be very persuasive speaker, capable of capturing and holding others attention with her warm charisma and shrewd way with words. While still a young child, Kurei showed a great, unclouded understanding of the world and a deeply insightful nature. She also demonstrated being a capable teacher, evident when Gaara acknowledges the growth of several Mizugame Ryodan genin under Kurei's tutelage. She is able to gague when someone is lying by simple tells and ticks, generally when forcing someone to keep eye contact or reading fluctuations in chakra. She is known for her ability to mediate in tense situations and act as an unbiased judge.
- --- She is also shown knowledgeable in herbal remedies, regularly preparing them for her team to help further their training. She has a fair grasp with regards to medical ninjutsu. Not so much in healing, though minor wounds are within her area, but with regards to creating healing rubs and antidotes. She has shown a proficiency for antidote creation onsite, using a mixture of already prepared herbs and her own blood as a base.
- --- Clan: Shuhou (Shuhou Clan's Traditions and Workings)
- --- Tenousei Shuhou (天王星 主砲) , (Part I: ; Part II: ; Next Generation: )
- Tenousei is Kurei's paternal grandfather and is remains the patriarch of the Shuhou Clan until he retires after the war, giving the clan over to his youngest son Saisei, Kurei's father. He is very dedicated to his clan and his village. However, his mind set is to do what is necessary by any cost and that the means will justify the end. He's got a hard edge about him and is very blunt, speaking his mind without care for the consequence his words can have.
- Around Part II, Tenousei gets to know Kurei and learns about Gaara's true nature from her. He starts to request stories of her adventures and realizes he's the most bitter about inheriting the clan and never being able to leave. Through Kurei he gets some of his youth back and begins to loosen up, appreciating the time she "wasted on this bitter old man." So while their relationship started off rocky they learn to understand each other and patch things up.
- Tenousei adores his great-grandbabies and resolves to be the best great-grandfather he can be! Since he wasn't such a good son/brother/father/uncle/grandfather before. Making up for lost time!
- --- Saisei Shuhou (Kanji) , (Part I: ; Part II: ; Next Generation: )
- Saisei is Kurei's father and, as of chapter 700Z, he is the Shuhou Clan's leader. He is a flexible and open-minded guy who's ideology is quickly changing his clan for the better.
- --- Toge Shuhou, Mother, Retired Special Jounin, Academy Teacher
- --- Ibara Hari, Maternal Grandmother, Tea Shop Owner
- --- Uiiki Shuhou, Eldest Sister, Jounin
- --- Suigin Shuhou, Uncle, Leader of the Secondary Branch, Second Seat
- --- Jyuukiou Shuhou, Cousin, Special Jounin
- --- Itsuka Shuhou, Cousin, Political Speaker
- --- Manami
- --- Usubi
- --- Chihei
- --- Rurachi
- --- Akatoki
Kurei Childhood In-Depth
Prior to her hospitalization, Kurei has a pleasant and easy life. She was born bright and early in the morning and from the second she came into the world, Kurei was a bundle of curious energy. She would often spend her days helping her mother in the sand garden at the Shuhou compound, tending to plants and cacti, or in the Suna greenhouse picking roots and berries and medical herbs for the hospital. On a few occasions, Kurei got to make visits to the Wind Temple, delivering medical supplies and various other items. Even at a young age, Kurei never meet a stranger. She enjoyed meeting and interacting with a wide variety of people every chance she could. Her favorite people were the shop owners who gave her free samples whenever she came in.
At age five, Kurei was hospitalized due to a rare bacterial infection of the blood. After three years with little successive treatment, Dr. Yamawaki, a former medical ninja called in for his expertise on bacteria and poison, finally deduced a plan to help cure Kurei of her infection. The treatment was successful in killing off the bacteria, however, it left Kurei very weak. While she was recuperating, Kurei was able to take and complete her basic level academic studies. With the promise that once she was healthy she could go before the academic panel to be judged on whether or not she could become a genin. Over the next two years, Kurei trained to increase her skills and proficiency in ninja arts, specifically focusing on the Toxic Ninja Arts.
After being cleared to active duty and being assigned teammates, Hin and Taba, along with jounin sensei, Jinruishi Daisaku, Kurei began to train and receive various missions. Daisaku-sensei forbid Kurei from using her Toxic Ninja Arts unless she was alone. This caused a sever clashing of wills, but, Kurei relented, bitterly, and instead focused on fitting into the trap and ambush theme her teammates seemed adjusted too. Taba was a wizz at setting up traps and Hin could camouflage them with his Cloth Techniques. They relied on Kurei's sensing abilities and tacticians instinct to plan and position their traps. The team flourished and gained a good bit of notoriety for their work.
The Chunin Exam invasion was a trying time for Kurei and her team. Due to their successful missions, they were drafted along side the Sand Siblings and a spare few other genin teams to infiltrate the exams for a full scale invasion of Konohagakure. In the first round, Kurei enjoyed riling up the gathered ninja when Naruto opened his big mouth, hoping for a good fight before the test started. She was able to answer the questions on the written exam using her own intelligence, then proceeded to have Hin copy her paper with his Cloth Technique wherein he would pass the answers to Taba, ensuring their passage to the second round. So the three stayed, not having really any choice due to Sunagakure's plans, earning their true spot in the next round.
The second round found Team Daisaku making a mess of the forest. The focus was for the Sand Siblings to make it to the round, and while there was little doubt in that, Kurei and company needed very little excuse to terrorize the other ninja. They collected as many scrolls as they could, each keeping a tally and bet to see who would have the most at the end of the day. At the end of the five days, following their prior instructions, Kurei opened her teams Heaven Scroll and the team was whisked away by Jinruishi.
A month later, the invasion is set and upon the genjutsu being activated, Team Daisaku flew into action. However, learning of the death of their beloved Kazekage, the team fled after the Sand Siblings, determined to get all involved home. They watched the battle between Gaara and Naruto with awe and fear. Once Gaara ws defeated, Kurei gave Temari her water canteen to give to Gaara before they set off for Sunagakure.
After losing her jounin sensei to injury during the invasion, and needing a way to pay back her debt to the hospital, Kurei enters the Mizugame Ryodan on a contract basis. There she is trained in basic Water Release skills, specifically those necessary to the jobs performed by the group. The condition for paying off her debt is for her to work for six years - though, after the expiration date she is free to leave or stay in the Ryodan. Kurei gradually beings to catch on and enjoys improving alongside her fellows, ninja and civilian alike. She enjoys the larger group environment and truly blossoms.
It was obvious early on that Kurei’s physical abilities were lacking. Her small size allowed her great speed but made her vulnerable to physical attacks. Kurei was use to being in the background and working with long ranged techniques, leaving the brawls up to Hin and Taba. So she prioritized learning how to track and pipe water while taking extra defense lessons and weight training to increase her overall endurance.
A year and a half later, Sunagakure began preparations to co-host the next Chunin exams. For Kurei, it was the opportunity to show her advancement and be promoted. She wanted to prove that the time spent with the Mizugame Ryodan was not wasted. Kurei also believed that she owed Hin and Taba the chance at a promotion to further their own goals.
The first stage of the examinations, Kurei was a bundle of nervous energy as flashes of her first chunin exams gave her pause and a bit of heartache. The first examination was interesting, Hin, much like the first chunin exams used his Cloth Techniques to communicate between the team. They managed to pass the bonus question easy enough. The second phase took place as a race across the desert. Her team had the advantage of knowing the area as well as the conditions offered by the terrain and weather. Hin and Taba took over the battles when/if their traps failed, with Kurei providing cover fire and long-ranged sniper-style attacks from the cover of rocks and ledges. Kurei relied heavily on her Toxic Ninja Art throughout the second stage, testing various neurological and hallucinogenic effects. Team Daisaku got the Earth Scroll early on an arrived at the tower in Demon Desert by the start of day two.
After the decision that reports would be sent to all the village Kage so that promotions would be made by the individuals village, Gaara announced that all participating Mizugame members were to be promoted to chunin with Kurei, Hin, and Taba gaining jounin rank for their efforts.
Prior to the kidnapping of the Kazekage, the massive water tanks were attacked by a contracted gang of rouge ninja. Kurei, in effort to protect the towers, lead a small group of early responding shinobi to head off the gang’s reinforcements. The team was able to find shelter in an abandoned and dilapidated building and begin a counterattack. In the battle, the integrity of the building was severely damaged and collapsed, causing a pipeline from somewhere under the ruble to go off with a bang. Kurei and company were buried in the rubble. Kurei was rendered unconscious by the concussive force of the explosion. One of the Suna shinobi who was able to, went for help and quickly came across the Sand siblings. They came to the rescue of the buried and still fighting shinobi, making quick work of the gang before providing assistance to remove the injured from the rubble. Kurei had been lucky enough to avoid severe damage to the head, but her legs suffered major injuries. Even upon rousing, Gaara decided Kurei was not fit to walk and elected to carry her to the hospital himself.
Gaara forced Kurei to step down from ninja missions and stay in paid leave on the recommendation of her medical professionals, and even requested her to retire from the Mizugame Ryodan. This was perhaps the worst fight the two have ever had. After a while, Kurei could get back on her feet for longer periods of time with mild discomfort. She was assured a favorable recovery by Dr. Yamawaki. All the brakes to her bones had been clean and, due to her age and general rate of healing, the tears in her muscles would mend nicely. She just had to be patient and not acerbate the injuries. While on forced leave, Kurei found solace in using her abilities to manage the irrigation of the green house and soil around Suna.
Part of her recovery included physical rehabilitation to strengthen her weakened muscles. Seeing her frustration, Temari made the offer to work with her. However, Temari would often make excuses to send Gaara in her place. As such, the young Kazekage became a frequent visitor to the hospital - much to the delight of the nurses - to assist in Kurei's rehabilitation. They sometimes met outside whenever Kurei started to feel trapped, memories of her childhood haunting her. During these moments, they often exchanged political rumors and talked shop. Kurei letting Gaara rant a bit about the more stressful points of his work, and Gaara providing a welcome distraction for Kurei. It was cathartic for both individuals and the training became a long standing practice even after her rehabilitation was over. On the days when they could not train, and Kurei wasn’t busy with the Mizugame Ryodan or a mission, she would help out in Gaara’s office, filing papers or running errands, doing anything asked of her and many things that were not. Overtime, the pair bonded on a deeper level and started to make it a point to find (or invent) excuses to meet.
After her triplets had become genin, Kurei was offered a place as an adviser to the Council. Humbly she accepted. Her exceptional intelligence and political prowess, along with her notoriety in other villages, made her a natural choice for a seat on the council. While she doesn't do as much field work in her adult years, Kurei still supervises the Mizugame Ryodan and oversees maintenance for the water towers.
- Kurei is a sensor type jounin with good chakra control and naturally fast speed. She is regarded as a practical and fundamentally fair women who is a hard worker and trustworthy individual. Her unique skills with her infamous Toxic Release and work with the Mizugame Ryodan have earned her a great deal of respect and admiration throughout Sunagakure. Kurei has worked hard to get her name out and about, mingling and mixing with the various people within the village to grow trust and gain valuable connections, informants, and supporters. This has gained her a reputation of being shrewd and clever as well as connecting her to the people she serves and protects on whole other level.